Canceling Your EIN Number To Close Your Business
If you are looking to cancel an EIN with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) you are closing the business account. After all, the EIN is not being canceled but instead, it is no longer being used.
– If you happen to owe taxes for the current tax year, you will need to file them before sending any sort of Cancellation Letter.
– You can get a brand new EIN before getting your current EIN closed.
1. Download The Letter
First, you will want to download our Cancel EIN letter for free. You can download it in either Word format or PDF format. They are the same form in different formats. Therefore, you should choose whichever works best for you.
– Close/Cancel an EIN (PDF)
– Close/Cancel an EIN (Microsoft Word)
2. Send The IRS The Cancellation Letter
You won’t find an available fax number to send the IRS the letter. Instead, you will need to mail it. You can mail it to the following address:
Mail Stop 343
Cincinnati, Ohio 45999-0023
Attn: BMF Entity Department
If you have the original confirmation letter you received with your EIN with you, include this with the cancellation letter you send them.
To Confirm an EIN Cancellation:
They will send you a letter that confirms that they have received your cancellation letter within a period of 45 days.
Our specially designed cancellation letter will make this request on your behalf.
3. Request Confirmation If You Don’t Get Word Back
If you do not get a letter from the IRS within a period of 45 days, you will want to either fax or mail a copy of the original letter to the Internet Revenue Service.
You should send it to the same address and have the phrase “Second Request” written visibly on the top of the letter.
If you want to ask any questions about your EIN you can contact them directly at 800-829-4933. You will be able to reach someone at the IRS within the hours of 7 a.m to 7 p.m local time.
Follow this phone prompts:
– Press 1 for English
– Press 1 again for EIN info
– Press 3 for more assistance