Registered Agent Louisiana
You are required to first select a Registered Agent for your Louisiana LLC prior to filing the Articles of Organization for your Louisiana LLC with the Secretary of State.
A Registered Agent is a company or person that accepts legal mail on behalf of your Louisiana LLC if your business is sued. Your Registered Agent in Louisiana also serves as a general point of contact when it comes to receiving tax and business notices, payment reminders, along with other documents.
Your Registered Agent is required to have a Louisiana street address (no P.O. Boxes are allowed) and is also required to be available during normal business hours (i.e. 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.) should Service of Process arrive. Service of process includes the delivery of documents such as summons, complaints, and/or subpoenas.
Who Can You Choose to Be Your Louisiana Registered Agent?
You have 3 options when it comes to forming an LLC in Louisiana:
– You can be the Registered Agent for your LLC
– You can choose a friend or family member to be the Registered Agent for the LLC
– You can hire a Commercial Registered Agent
Note: If the Registered Agent will be an individual (you, a family member, or a friend), he/she should be a Louisiana resident.
How Do I Know Which Option to Choose?
– You can list yourself as the Registered Agent if your have a Louisiana street address (such as an office or home), and are available during business hours.
– You can use a family member or friend’s address if you don’t have a Louisiana street address. The person must have a Louisiana Street address and be available during business hours.
– You can hire a Commercial Registered Agent if you don’t have a Louisiana street address and don’t have a family member or friend’s address you can you or you prefer not to.
Using a Commercial Registered Agent offers more privacy and is a more reliable option for your Louisiana LLC.
Commercial Registered Agent
Louisiana filers regularly start businesses from their home. For that reason, it is critical to know that all addresses provided on the Articles of Organization for your LLC are listed on the public record and can appear in Google searches.
If you were considering using your home address, but you prefer keeping off public records, you can use a Commercial Registered Agent who will let you use their address throughout your LLC’s Articles of Organization. All mail that’s sent to the LLC will be scanned by them and then uploaded to your online account.
Are there any risks if you, a family member, or a friend are the Registered Agent for your LLC?
Simply put, there are risks. They aren’t likely to occur, but if they do, it could mean that you lose your liability protection. For instance, if the Secretary of State is unable to reach the Registered Agent for your LLC, you might lose your good standing status and the state may dissolve your LLC.
If a process server cannot reach the listed Registered Agent for your LLC regarding a lawsuit, a court case may proceed in your absence and you may never actually know about it. Worse still, the court may pass a judgment against you if you aren’t available to defend yourself.
A few reasons why the process serve may be unable to reach the Registered Agent for your LLC are:
– You, a family member, or a friend weren’t present during business hours
– You, a family member, or a friend were on vacation
– You moved and forgot to file a Change of Registered Agent with the State
Hiring a Commercial Registered Agent is the most reliable option since it gives you the freedom to take vacation without having to worry about changing your Registered Agent address in case you move. Commercial Registered Agents will also help keep your LLC in Louisiana compliant by sending you reminders of the ongoing annual report requirements.