Missouri LLC Name Requirements
Before you search your LLC name in the state of Missouri, there are a couple of requirements that you need to be aware of:
1. You must use the abbreviation “L.L.C.” or “LLC” at the end of your business name. The most common abbreviation is “LLC.”
2. Since LLCs are not Corporations, your business name cannot include the word “Incorporated,” “Corporation,” or the abbreviations (“Inc.”, “Corp.”).
3. Your LLC name needs to be distinguishable. That means it needs to be unique and different from all other businesses that are registered in the state of Missouri.
Designator differences (the identifiers appearing at the end of your business name) and grammatical different do not distinguish a business name.
– commas, periods, slashes, hyphens
– &, or, and
– The, An, A
– possessive, plural, and singular
– Corp., Inc., L.L.C., LLC
These are examples of names that are not distinguishable:
– 3 Teachers Consulting, LLC vs Three Teachers Consulting, LLC
– LLC vs. Peter-Paul-Mary Studios, Inc vs Peter Paul & Mary Studios, LLC
– Night and Day, LLC vs. Night & Day, LLC
– The Print Shop, LLC vs. Print Shop, LLC
– Apple Farms, LLC vs. Apple Farm, LLC
– Smith Investments, Inc. vs. Smith Investments, LLC
Searching Missouri’s Name Database
To ensure that your LLC’s name is available to use and is distinguishable, you need to search for the name in Missouri’s Business Entity Database.
1. Go to the search page for Missouri’s Business Entity Database at:
2. Type in the name you desire for your LLC into the “Business Name” box and then click on the “Search” button.
Do not add any punctuation or the “LLC” ending. Capitalization also does not matter. Type in the first couple of words of your business name. If your name is just a single word, then simply type that.
3. Look through the list of existing businesses in Missouri and be sure that your business name is unique.
If the LLC name that you desire is not unique, then you will need to come up with a new name or get creative to find a variation.
If your search shows “No Results,” that means that the LLC name that you desire is available to use and is unique.
If the results display names that are not similar to yours (which means your name is distinguishable(, that means the LLC name that you desire is available to use.