How To Search And Register Your Montana LLC Name
If you’re registering with the Secretary of State for your LLC or you’re thinking of the perfect name, we’ve got your covered. So, read on as we provide you with the information that you need to ensure that you’re equipped to handle business entity searches, fictitious names, the LLC naming rules, and registering your LLC in Montana.
The Secretary Of State Business Search In Montana
When it comes to selecting a name, you’ll need to first complete the Secretary of State entity search. If you visit their website, you’ll find the perfect tool that allows you to search both corporations and MT LLCs. As you perform your search, you’ll be able to see if anyone else has already registered the name that you’ve been thinking about.
In the instance where the name is already taken, you wouldn’t be able to register it as your own. Hence, you’ll need to find another and perform the search once again.
The Secretary Of State Business Entity Search Tool
– Rules On Montana Name Availability For LLCs
After you’ve decided on your name and properly done a business availability search, you’ll need to comply with the naming rules of the state. However, it should be noted that these rules do tend to vary from state to state. The following apply to Montana:
* The LLC Must Be Unique – The name that you’re planning on using shouldn’t be already in use by another corporation or LLC within the state of Montana. Hence, you should always check to ensure that your name is available on the MT SOS site.
* The LLC Business Name Shouldn’t Be Confused With Any Other Entity – Your MT LLC should be interesting, unique, and a real eye turner. In essence, it shouldn’t be something that is similar to any other LLC in Montana. The following should give you a better idea of the naming convention:
1 – Suffixes such as Company, Corporation, Incorporation, Incorporated, Limited, Co., Corp., Ltd., Inc., LLC, and others.
2 – Definite articles such as An, A, And, &, The, etc.
3 – Plural, possessive, or singular forms of any word.
4 – The name that you select must contain some specific names. All LLCs are required to ensure that their names contain LLC, L.L.C. or Limited Liability Company at the end of the names.
5 – Punctuations, symbols, abbreviations, typefaces, fonts, and others.
There are several restrictions that can easily apply to your LLC name. Most states will not allow the following:
* If your name is similar to that of an MT or federal organization or agency such as the FDA, the FBI, Montana Police, the Treasury, or the Montana Department of Revenue.
* Your name should not suggest that you’re affiliated with state agencies, federal agencies, or even other state organizations.
* Additionally, it should not contain the word Olympic or other terms that are registered trademarks of the Olympic organization.
* Imply that business will be involved in illegal activities.
Assumed Business Name / Montana LLC DBA
If you’re planning to conduct business with another name that doesn’t include your LLC name, you can do so. However, you’ll need to select something that is different than your LLC or MT formal name for the following reasons:
* In the instance where your LLC is known as Montana Adventure Trails HC. LLC. and you’ve decided to form a chain called The Trails Of Rock Mountain, you’ll need to file with the Secretary of State in Montana. This can easily be done via the SOS website. Additionally, you can use Incfile and they’ll file on your behalf. This service is often referred to as their Assumed Business Name service.
Registering Your Business Name For Your Montana LLC
After you’ve searched for your business name and determined its availability, you’ll need to follow the state naming rules. You’ll also need to decide if you need a fictitious name for your MT LLC. However, there are quite a couple of names that determine how this is done. So, if you’re interested in starting your LLC now, you’ll need to ensure that you reserve your name.
This is easily done with the Secretary of State in Montana where you’ll need to complete a special application. The Application for Reservation of Name should be completed and filed with the MT SOS. However, you don’t always need to reserve your name straight away. So, if you’re ready to get started with your LLC, you can easily let Incfile take care of it as they file on your behalf.
Naming Your Montana LLC FAQs
How Do I Search For An LLC Business Name?
When you get to the website, you’ll need to use the name search tool. After you enter the name, you’ll be able to search. As you search, results will be generated if there are any LLCs or MT corporations with the same name.
Are There Naming Rules For Naming My Montana LLC?
The simplest answer to this is Yes. There are certain rules that bound LLCs and there are also specific rules which can be found above.
Can I Still Do Business If I Plan To Use Another Name Instead Of My LLC?
You can, these are referred to as assumed or fictitious names. You’ll be able to choose trade names or doing business names. All of these details can be found above.
Will I Be Able To Reserve My Montana LLC Name?
Yes, Montana state allows you to reserve your name if you’re not intending to start right away. However, if you’re starting now, you don’t need to do this.
Additional Resources For Naming Your Montana LLC
These resources will be helpful for naming your LLC
Service And Trade Marks
When it comes to naming your LLC, be sure that your name doesn’t infringe on other services and trademarks. One of the easiest ways to determine if you’re infringing is to use Incfile. When you use Incfile, they’ll ensure that everything is in order. However, if no infringement is happening, you’ll be able to successfully register.
Finding The Perfect Montana LLC Name For Your Business
If you didn’t already know, sometimes the perfect name can be very elusive. The following will ensure that your name is just right:
* Your name should appeal to your customers
* It should be so captivating that it stands out
* Should not be used by others
* Should properly represent your services and products