Start Your Nevada LLC Business License in just a Few Minutes

For as little as $0 + State Fee

Included In All LLC Packages

  • Verify Company Name Availability
  • Preparation & Filing of Articles
  • Next Business Day Processing
  • Registered Agent Service (1st Year FREE)
  • Lifetime Company Alerts
  • Online Order Status Tracking
  • Free Business Tax Consultation
  • Lifetime Customer Support
  • Online Access to incorporation Documents

Tips On How To Obtain A Small Business License In Nevada

Are you about to start up a small company in Nevada? You might be required to obtain a permit or state licenses or complete a state registration, with your start-up process. Here is an overview containing the primary informational resources, along with some of the steps that you may have to take.

Information On Small Businesses In Nevada

The DBI (Department of Business and Industry) website in Nevada contains all the information that you will need to start and expand your small business in Nevada. In addition to other sources of information, the website provides a dedicated Business Resources Page, Small Business Events, and Funding Options. You can also click on links to any other state government department that may apply to your specific business.


Nevada Business License

How To Obtain One Or More Business License

Most of the businesses in Nevada require a license. This means, at a minimum an SBL (State Business License), that the Nevada SOS (Secretary of State) issues. In addition to an SBL, when starting a small business, you will be required to renew your license every year. For most businesses, this renewal connects with filing annual reports that are required by the state.

For more information on the SBL, here are the links to visit:

The SOS website – State Business License Requirements section
The SBL FAQ page also found on the SOS website
The Business Forms section – The SOS website
The SilverFlume business portal – Operated by the SOS

It is also important to know that some of the licenses that are required are either issued at the county or city level. The Business Licensing Agencies section found on the DBI website lists the local governments which issue these business licenses. Click on the county or city name on this list if you need further information.

Filing Records For Your Business Type

After obtaining the required permits or licenses, certain “legal forms” of business, which include LLCs (limited liability companies), and corporations will need to file all their records with a state. LLCs and corporations, along with other business types are required by the SOS to file organizational documentation. For additional information, visit the SilveFlume portal of the SOS website.

How To Obtain Professional Licensing

If you are running a company as one of the members of various occupations or professions, you will have to obtain a license from the State of Nevada. Some of the professions that require state licensing include lawyers, architects, doctors, dentists, nurses, optometrists, and engineers. On the DBI website, the Business Licensing Agencies section lists the regulatory agencies of the state for most occupations and professions. Click on the applicable item on this list to direct you to a website for a regulatory agency (in most cases the state board), where you can find more details about how to obtain a license.

Register A Fictitious or Assumed Business Name

Most small businesses are not operated under the name of the owner. Rather, they are operated under a name given to the business. At the same time, businesses such as LLCs and corporations may register under 1 name with the state (in some cases, called the true name, actual name, or registered name), and later decide to operate the company using another name. Depending on the area you plan to run the business from and the way your company is structured, this alternative name for your business, may technically be called a “trade” name, a “fictitious” name, or an “assumed” name, or a DBA (which stands for “doing business as”). Many types of Nevada small businesses, such as partnerships, corporations, LLCs, and sole proprietorships, are required to file forms when they plan to run the business under a fictitious or assumed name.

The DBAs in Nevada are filed at a county level, rather than at a state level. You are required to file the correct form with your county clerk. Refer to the county government website if you require further details.

Register A Service Mark Or Trademark

There are different legal definitions when it comes to service marks, trade names, or trademarks. However, in general, trade names, service marks, and trademarks are often used to identify unique products (goods), a business, or a service. This also includes distinguishing businesses, services, or products from a potential competitor. Service marks and trademarks are registered with a state. This is different from federal registrations. For more information along with the forms, go to the Trademarks section on the SOS website.

Additional Resources