Start Your New York LLC Business Entity Search in just a Few Minutes
For as little as $0 + State Fee
Included In All LLC Packages
- Verify Company Name Availability
- Preparation & Filing of Articles
- Next Business Day Processing
- Registered Agent Service (1st Year FREE)
- Lifetime Company Alerts
- Online Order Status Tracking
- Free Business Tax Consultation
- Lifetime Customer Support
- Online Access to incorporation Documents
Determining If The LLC Name You Want Is Available
The streets of New York are always bustling with new and upcoming corporations that battle alongside the older ones. These businesses take the business and finance industry by storm as they combine the thriving economy with a mixture of highly diverse cultures. The state and the city combine these with finance and dominate the tourism, entertainment, media industry.
So, if you’re planning to start a new corporation LLC in the state of New York, you’ll need to ensure that you’ve got the perfect name. As such, our tool is perfect for aiding with your name search and it even tells if the name you want is available. Our tool checks the desired name against the complete business registry in the State Department.
As soon as you find the perfect name for your LLC, you’ll be able to easily register it for an all-time low fee. In order to search for various entities, you’ll need to enter the details in the box and everything else will be taken care of for you.
Rules For Naming Your New York Business
After you’ve completed your search and found something that is available, you’ll need to ensure that it follows the basic naming conventions attached. These are as follows:
* The name you select for your new business must be 100% unique and not confused with other business names in the state.
* If you’re forming an LLC it should contain the abbreviation for it or even the words Limited Liability Company. It can even contain either of the words Corporation, Incorporated, or something else that is similar.
* Your name should not indicate that your business is connected to the state and the activities you conduct should not be associated with state activities or illegal in any way.
Besides those previously mentioned, there are several other specifications that apply to the naming convention. So, if you’re forming an LLC in New York, you’ll need to follow the points below:
Naming Rules For New York
* If the name you select is related to another business or licensed profession, you should seek the consent that is required by the agency or licensing body.
* The name you decide on should not contain any derogatory or obscene terms or even imply that unlawful activities are conducted.
* The following restricted words should not be used – academy, doctor, education, acceptance, bank, bond, fidelity, assurance, elementary, finance, arboretum, casualty, conservatory, college, guaranty, industrial, history, historical society, investment, insurance, kindergarten, lawyer, library, mortgage, museum, preschool, savings, secondary, title, trust, underwriter, union, university, institute, and several others,
* The following prohibited words should not be used – chamber of commerce, community, the board of trade, attorney, corporation, cooperative, cooperation, redevelopment, state trooper, tenant relocation, state police, urban relocation or development, and others.
Common Questions About New York Business Searches
How Do I Search the Business Registry of the New York Department of State?
In order to perform a search, you’ll need to use the tool. There you can easily enter the name that you desire for the LLC in New York. The tool searches the databases and generates the results. The results will indicate if there is another entity using the name or if the name is free to use.
What Are the Rules on Naming My New York Business Entity?
As previously mentioned, business entities in New York need to follow a set of specific rules and. These are covered in the section above.
Can I Do Business Under a Different Name Than My Legal Name in New York?
In the state of New York, you’re allowed to conduct business under different names. This is simply known as the doing business as name, the fictitious name, or even the assumed name. Fictitious names can be filed with the state department in New York.
Can I Change the Name of My New York LLC or Corporation?
If you so desire, you can always change the name of your business entity or LLC. This can be done if you file for an amendment concerning the Articles of Incorporation. When this is done, you can change the name to any other available name in the state.
What Do I Need to Think About When Deciding on a New York Business Name?
The perfect name can be yours in just about no time. The following can be sued as you plan and determine the name of your LLC or business:
* Your name should appeal to your customers
* Your name should be so unique that people remember your company
* Your entity name is a representation of your services and products, so keep that in mind
* The name you select should not be used by another business in New York
What’s the Best Way to Stop My New York Business Name From Being Used by Someone Else?
One of the simplest ways to do this is to incorporate your business name. This is done in the form of a limited liability company or even as a corporation. So, if you want the protection that you deserve, then you’ll need to register your entity name as a trademark. Filing a doing business as or a fictitious name will not be enough to protect your name.
What Organization Registers and Manages Business Names in New York?
This is done by the Department of State in New York. They work tirelessly to ensure that the company’s register is updated with the names of each business in the state.