Rocket Lawyer Review: Reliable Online Legal Support for Small Businesses
There used to be only one option when seeking legal assistance for your company: Book an appointment with an attorney and wait weeks to secure the necessary paperwork.
Luckily, online legal services have simplified the process, so you can be in Alaska but work with an attorney in New York. Now, when you need help establishing a limited liability company (LLC) or getting a contract reviewed, you can get online legal help without ever leaving your home or your office.
Rocket Lawyer, a legal services site, offers various products and solutions — from business and real estate contracts to wills and divorce agreements. Founded in 2006, Rocket Lawyer is among the fastest-growing online legal service companies.
More than 20 million people have accessed Rocket Lawyer to:
- Create legal contracts and documents that are written and reviewed by legal staff
- Get legal advice by phone from an attorney
- Incorporate as an LLC, a corporation, or a nonprofit, and get ongoing compliance support
Many Rocket Lawyer services are available for a one-time fee. The company also offers a monthly member subscription package that gives you unlimited legal support for several services. We’ve explored Rocket Lawyer to help you decide whether it’s the best service for you.
Pricing for Rocket Lawyer
Rocket Lawyer offers two tiers of pricing based on whether you’re enrolled in its monthly membership plan. The subscription membership plan costs $39.99 per month, which customers can cancel at any time.
Costs for Non Members
- Legal documents (create and sign a digital form): $39.95 per document
- Document Defense (an attorney will review and help enforce contracts): $9.99 per document
- Ask a lawyer a question: $49.99 per question
- 30-minute legal consultation: $59.99 per consultation
- LLC incorporation filing: $99.99 (excluding state fees)
- Registered Agent service: $149.99
Costs for Members
- Legal documents: Free
- Document Defense: Free
- Ask a lawyer a question: Free
- 30-minute legal consultation: Free
- Discount if you hire a Rocket Lawyer attorney: Up to 40% off the attorney’s standard rate
- LLC incorporation filing: Free for new members and 25% off afterward (excluding state fees)
- Registered Agent service: 25% off
If you need legal help only occasionally, it’s more affordable to pay per service rather than the monthly fee. However, if you own a small business that needs access to an attorney, legal information, or forms regularly, paying the monthly rate is a valuable investment.
Benefits of Rocket Lawyer
Rocket Lawyer offers several features that differentiate it from the competition. The following features are beneficial for a small business looking for affordable legal help and information.
Legal Advice by Phone and Online
Several of Rocket Lawyer’s competitors offer legal help by phone. However, Rocket Lawyer is one of the few services to provide digital legal support on its site.
It’s “Ask A Lawyer” service allows you to submit a question and get an answer from an attorney who specializes in the subject within a day. Having questions and answers in writing allows the attorney to understand your request better. The company employs a large staff of attorneys who are on-call to answer questions submitted through the service.
Popular topics submitted by businesses through the service include questions on:
- Contracts and agreements
- Form customization
- Starting a business
- Intellectual property
- Employment contracts
- Real estate contracts
- Family law (divorce, pre-nuptials, child custody arrangements)
- Wills and estate planning
- Personal injury
- Criminal law
With a monthly membership, businesses can submit as many questions as they’d like. Rocket Lawyer charges your credit card $49.99 per legal help question without a membership, which is affordable compared to the rate most lawyers would charge for legal advice.
Access to customized contract and agreement templates is a standard option for most website-based legal services. Rocket Lawyer has improved the process to meet businesses’ needs by developing an easy-to-use form builder that allows you to build a contract or other paperwork by answering a series of questions.
This innovative form builder takes the stress out of customizing your template and ensures that all paperwork meets any relevant state and federal laws and requirements.
Rocket Lawyer also has a robust library of free resources and information on its website to help you do everything from improving your credit score and safeguarding your credit card information to ensuring that your email marketing campaigns meet legal compliance.
Are you a landlord having problems with a tenant? Or are you struggling to get a partner to abide by the terms of a contract? Rocket Lawyer’s Document Defense program gives companies access to an attorney to review issues that help enforce the agreement’s terms if needed.
Access to Document Defense is free to monthly members. However, you can add the program a la carte for a cost of $9.99 per document.
Find a Local Lawyer
The Rocket Lawyer site provides a robust directory of attorneys by location and specialty. Participants in Rocket Lawyers’ monthly subscription plan get either free or deeply discounted rates for their legal needs.
You can also get matched with an appropriate attorney through Rocket Lawyers’ “On-Call” program.
Rocket Lawyer offers a free trial for its monthly membership, giving you access to its legal services (most at no charge) for seven days. There is no obligation to buy a membership after the free period expires; however, your credit card will be charged the subscription fee if you don’t cancel before the period ends.
This trial a great way for your company to test drive Rocket Lawyer while deciding whether you have enough legal needs to justify a monthly membership.
The trial gives you access to:
- Library of free document templates
- One premium legal document
- One use of signature service for a digital contract
- One free question through the Ask a Lawyer online service
- One filing of an LLC application
Outstanding Customer Support
Dozens of customer reviews point to Rocket Lawyers’ customer service as a reason to select it over the competition. The online service offers support from customer service representatives Monday-Friday by email, live chat, and phone.
Another customer support perk is that Rocket Lawyer offers a 30-day money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied with the legal help. It also offers a robust FAQ page with instant help for such common issues as:
- Billing and membership
- Technical support
- Contract customization
- Starting a business
- LLC formulation and Registered Agent services
- Credit score freeze and challenge requests
Some drawbacks of Rocket Lawyer
The cost of membership is the biggest downside of Rocket Lawyer. Many competitors offer a lower monthly fee for similar services. If you’re a founder who only needs a little bit of help, your money might be better spent elsewhere.
However, if you plan on taking advantage of their online Ask A Lawyer service, the monthly subscription fee is cost-effective.
LLC formation and registered agent services
If you’re planning on using Rocket Lawyer only to incorporate your enterprise, it’s the least affordable website-based legal service option. Because Rocket Lawyer is based on a subscription model, it doesn’t incentivize one-time filings like LLC formation and registered agent services. If you’re not a member, and incorporation package can cost up to $649.99 (plus state fees).
However, if you think your company will take advantage of additional Rocket Lawyer support, a monthly subscription will reduce your incorporation package by $300. With a subscription, an incorporation package includes:
- Formation filing
- Registered agent services
- Operating agreement
- Compliance reminders
- Attorney consults up to 40% off the regular fee
- Limitless access to legal documents
- Limitless access to Ask a Lawyer
- Complimentary 30-minute legal consult
Rocket Lawyer LLC Review Summary
Rocket Lawyer receives between above-average and outstanding reviews from both third-party vetting organizations and customer reviews. In general, Rocket Lawyer gets higher reviews than many of its competitors in many areas.
Third-Party Rocket Lawyer Review Sites
- Better Business Bureau: 4.1 stars out of 5 (74 verified reviews), and an A+ rating from BBB
- Trustpilot: 4.7 stars out of 5 (2,245 verified reviews)
- ConsumerAffairs: 4.8 stars out of 5 (230 verified reviews)
- SiteJabber: 4.6 stars out of 5 (1,222 verified reviews), and recipient of the SiteJabber 2018 Customer Choice Award
Positive Rocket Lawyer Review Summary
People give Rocket Lawyer overwhelmingly positive customer reviews. Some common reasons the reviewer gave the company a glowing review include:
- Ease of creating contracts, particularly for business owners and consumers with little legal knowledge
- Great value for small business customers who need ongoing legal support
- Reliable help in enforcing contracts and agreements
- Outstanding support for intellectual property issues
- Rapid response for legal questions
- Excellent and responsive customer service
Negative Rocket Lawyer Review Summary
Most negative reviews are from people with concerns about Rocket Lawyer charging their credit card at the end of the free 7-day trial period. Most of these issues can be avoided and do not speak to the quality of the service.
Some customers also complain about the cost of one-time business incorporation and registered agent services.
Rocket Lawyer Alternatives for Business Owners
Rocket Lawyer is a top legal service pick for any business owner or consumer who needs affordable, ongoing legal assistance. It also is the best option for ease of use, rapid response to legal questions, and customer service.
However, depending on your business conditions, selecting an alternative that offers similar a la carte business formation services at more affordable pricing might be a better use of your money.
LegalZoom is a best-in-class website-based legal service for small business owners who don’t have in-house attorneys. It offers a large array of products at a flat rate. Some of the frequently purchased services include:
- LLC formation: $79, plus government fees
- LLC registered agent service: $159 per year
- LLC trademark registration: $199, plus federal filing fees
- LLC copyright registration: $114, plus federal filing fees
- LLC patent application: $199, plus federal filing fees
- S-Corp and C-Corp formation: $149, plus government fees
The LegalZoom Business Advisory product is a monthly subscription platform similar to Rocket Lawyer’s plan. The product costs $31.25 per month if you subscribe to an annual account and $36 per month for a 6-month account plan. In addition to consultations with attorneys and unlimited document reviews, the plan includes access to tax experts, a yearly business compliance review, and a copyright registration monthly.
Third-Party Site Reviews of LegalZoom
- Better Business Bureau: 2.6 stars out of 5 (576 verified reviews), and an A+ rating from BBB
- Trustpilot: 3.3 stars out of 5 (246 verified reviews)
- ConsumerAffairs: 3.8 stars out of 5 (394 verified reviews)
- SiteJabber: 3.6 stars out of 5 (994 verified reviews), and recipient of the SiteJabber 2019 Customer Choice Award
Inc Authority (best known as Inc for Free) provides LLC formation and registered agent services. The platform’s basic LLC setup service is free (plus state fees). It offers only services related to business formation, so companies may feel limited.
- Business name check
- Registered agent annual service
- Digital storage of business documents
- Tax planning advice
- Preparation and filing of formation documents
- S-election form preparation
Inc Authority offers a business package for $399 (plus state fees) that includes the following add-ons to its free package:
- Operating agreement
- Company seal
- Record book
- Meeting minutes
- Business resolutions
- Ownership certificates
- 1-year registered agent service
Inc Authority’s free LLC formation plan is a good option if your business needs no additional legal support. Its premium packages are pricier than most of its competitors. Trustpilot gives Inc Authority 4.8 stars out of 5 (4,472 verified reviews) for its LLC services.
BizFilings specializes in the business formation of an LLC, a corporation, or a nonprofit. The company also offers registered agent services, DBA registration, and the establishment of limited partnerships.
BizFilings three-tiered pricing for LLC formations:
- Basic: $99 per month, plus state fees (includes business name verification and preparation and filing of documents)
- Standard: $299 per month, plus state fees (includes basic package plus registered agent service, Operating Agreement, and other business documents, and LLC seal and kit)
- Complete: $359 per month, plus state fees (includes all the above, plus EIN, compliance DVD, and certified copy of state-filed documents)
The Better Business Bureau gives BizFilings an A+ rating.
CorpNet is an online business formation service best known for outstanding customer support. In addition to bilingual, Monday-Friday help, CorpNet also offers a basic LLC formation package for $108 plus state fees. However, the package includes only 60 days of registered agent service.
Its Deluxe package — priced at $228 plus state fees — includes a one-year registered agent service and an EIN. The Complete package includes an operating agreement, LLC kit, and seal for $278 plus state fees.
Third-Party Site Reviews of CorpNet
- Better Business Bureau: give CorpNet an A+ rating
- Trustpilot: 4.9 stars out of 5 (452 verified reviews)
Is Rocket Lawyer Right for You?
Rocket Lawyer is a respected provider of a wide range of online legal support and products. It’s the best choice for small or midsize businesses in need of regular legal counsel at an affordable monthly flat rate. All you need is a credit card to start the seven-day free trial.
If you’re only interested in business formation, an alternative service might offer a better value.