Start Your Tennessee Business Entity Search LLC Business in just a Few Minutes
For as little as $0 + State Fee
Included In All LLC Packages
- Verify Company Name Availability
- Preparation & Filing of Articles
- Next Business Day Processing
- Registered Agent Service (1st Year FREE)
- Lifetime Company Alerts
- Online Order Status Tracking
- Free Business Tax Consultation
- Lifetime Customer Support
- Online Access to incorporation Documents
Business Name Search in Tennessee
If you’re looking for your new business name or you’re looking at the status of other business entities, the Secretary of States’ website has all the information you need and more. The website serves to provide the most important information for LLCs and corporations that are registered within the state of Tennessee. It should be noted that the names or partnerships and sole proprietorships are not fully centralized.
This just simply means that they’re registered in the county that they operate in and they’re registered with the Register of Deeds. So, if you’re interested in searching on the website, there is not fee attached and you can search as much as needed.
What Information Can Be Found On The Site?
The following is a list of information that you can easily find on the site:
* A business name
* The status of the business. This means that you’ll be able to determine of it is in good standing or if all the fees are updated. In the case where it’s inactive, you might be able to reuse the name.
* You’ll be able to determine the principal office. This can be either a business address or the location where they store their records.
* You’ll also be able to find out the information of the registered agent. The agent is the main contact point for legal notices if ever they should be sent. In some cases, owners use their home address while others use a registered agent to secure their information.
* You’ll also be able to file for a certificate of existence to prove the status of the business.
How Can I Do A Business Name Search?
First, you’ll need to visit the Secretary of State site. Next, you’ll need to enter the name that you’re intending on using. If your search query results in information being found, you’ll need to choose another name.
Your business name should be unique and different from every other name that already exists. So, if you’re planning on forming an LLC your business name should not be found if you searched for it. In the case where you need more information, simply click on the registered names and click Control # in order to see a detailed report.
However, it’s best to keep in mind that while some names are not available, there might still be different variants of them and if you looked, you’ll see that there are sometimes No Matches Found for your query. Even after you’ve selected your name, the department will still do their own search to ensure that persons don’t have the same name. While words are often spelt differently and sound alike, some results that show up will not always be available.
We’ve just covered the basics in Tennessee name searching. So, if you’re interested in looking for a new name for your business in Tennessee, you’ll need to take all of these things into consideration. Remember, even if it looks like it’s available, it doesn’t mean that it is and the relevant authority will perform their own checks to determine the status of a name. As long as your name is truly unique, there’s nothing to worry about.